Chaos Sonic: The New Metal Sonic Everyone... Likes?

When the trailer for season 2 of Sonic Prime debuted, fans were not fond of the new design for Metal Sonic. He looked slimmer and sleeker--far less like his original, menacing design. And with a screen for a face (or entire head, actually), he was cuter and wore more vivid emotions. While there were some similarities to the original design, they were scarce, and fans were not fond of the new design.


Then season 2 debuted and everyone watched. Everyone saw Metal Sonic--ahem, excuse me, Chaos Sonic. Everyone stared as he battled and beat up Sonic, raced effortlessly, and would. Not. SHUT. UP.

Chaos Sonic is snarky. Arrogant. Spiteful. Playful. Loves to hear himself talk. If you take some of Eggman's self-importance, a little bit of Surge's snappishness, some of Shadow's "you're-the-fake" POV, too much of Sonic's attitude, and some girly excitement, wrap all that in an expressive robot, you've got Chaos Sonic.

In fact, I realized Chaos Sonic's attitude is similar to Ugly Sonic's in the Chip'n'Dale: Rescue Rangers movie!

[SPOILER WARNING] I was glad to see Chaos Sonic completely demolished in the next episode. I was not fond of his attitude and incessant bragging. But I was surprised to find out some fans, while they don't particularly like Chaos Sonic's design, actually love Chaos Sonic's attitude. Personally, I was expecting a more Metal Sonic-type rival, and while I'm not fond of Chaos Sonic's design myself, I prefer it over his attitude. Mainly because I expected the design once I saw it, but never expected the attitude. The fact that Chaos Sonic talks caught me off guard.

But, in actuality, it's not the first time a Metal Sonic has been able to talk. While all fans know the "regular" version of Metal makes beeping, blaring noises as communication, some may remember the Metal Sonic (aka Hyper Metal Sonic) from the Sonic The Hedgehog movie. No, I'm not referring to the live-action movies--I'm talking about the two-part 1996 OVA anime movie. In that movie, Metal Sonic had his traditional design, but was also capable of speaking.

Having never seen the movie (though it's on my bucket list), I don't know Metal Sonic's behavior, although I'm aware it was more like the current personality we know. And it was certainly not as snarky and over-the-top as Chaos Sonic's personality.

But if you step back, see Chaos Sonic from a fresh 90s perspective, and maybe slip him into a scene of Seinfeld, it's not too peculiar. Still not necessarily likeable, but not peculiar either. All the same, it was an unexpected take on serious-killing-machine Metal, and while it fits into the mood of Sonic Prime, hopefully it'll stay exclusive to the series.

(Also... are we assuming this takes place when/where there was no original Metal Sonic? Because why did Sonic not see Chaos Sonic and go, "Metal?!")

Popular posts from this blog

Sonic Prime's Metal Sonic--WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?!

Everyone Loves Surge. Here's Why.